The official deadline for filing the federal income tax return should be on April 15. Sometimes interferes with that scheduling. If a tax deadline occurs on a Friday, a Sunday, or a legal break, it is normally shifted to the next business day. This year, April 15 falls on a Wednesday, which is also not a holiday.
Below are important deadlines you need to remember for 2020.
Deadlines in Calendar Year 2020 for 2019 Returns
Estimated tax payments for the 2019 Tax Year (IRS Form 1040)
The fourth and final payment for the 2019 tax year is Jan. 15, 2020.
Partnership returns (IRS Form 1065):
March 16, 2020 (extended deadline: Sept. 15, 2020)
Estates and Trusts income tax returns (IRS Form 1041):
April 15, 2020 (extended deadline: Sept. 30, 2020)
C-corporation income tax returns (IRS Form 1120):
April 15, 2020 for C corporations that operate on a calendar year (extended deadline: Oct. 15, 2020)
S-corporation returns (IRS Form 1120-S):
March 15, 2020 for corporations on a calendar year (extended deadline: Sept. 15, 2020)
Foreign bank account reports (IRS FinCen Form 114):
April 15, 2020 (extended deadline with Form 1040: Oct. 15, 2020)
Deadlines Organized by Date
January 15, 2020
Fourth quarter estimated tax payment for tax year 2019 deadline
January 31, 2020
February 18, 2020
Mailing out of Form 1099-B, Form 1099-S, and Form 1099-MISC deadline
February 28, 2020
Mailing of Forms 1099 and 1096 to the IRS1 deadline
March 16, 2020
- Corporate tax returns (Forms 1120, 1120-A, and 1120-S) for the year 2018 deadline
- Filing of partnership tax returns (Form 1065) deadline
April 15, 2020
- Deadline to file individual tax returns (Form 1040) for the year 2018 or to request an automatic extension(Form 4868).
- Last day for traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Health Savings Account, SEP-IRA, or solo 401(k)contributions
- First-quarter estimated tax paymentsdue for the 2020 tax year
- Filing estate income tax or trust income tax returns (Form 1041) deadline
June 1, 2020
Sending out Form 5498 deadline
June 15, 2020
- Second-quarter estimated tax paymentsdue for the 2019 tax year
- Deadline for filing of tax returns of U.S. citizens living abroad
September 15, 2020
- Third-quarter estimated tax paymentsdue for the 2019 tax year
- Corporate tax returns for the year 2019 final deadline
October 1, 2020
October 15, 2020
- Final extended deadline to file individual tax returns for the year 2019 (Form 1040)
- Last day for electronically filed tax return for 2019
- Deadline to fund a SEP-IRAor solo 401(k) for 2019
Missing a Date
Not submitting your return and any payment due by the deadline on that return will incur a mild penalty.
Go to IRS Direct Pay and have the payment debited directly from your bank account. E-file a late return if you have not missed the deadline is also advised. The IRS accepts e-filing until November.
When you can’t pay the tax you owe right away, file your return anyway and apply for a payment plan with the IRS immediately.
Tax Consultants, Tax Accountants & Tax Preparers Near You
If you need professional help in your tax returns, Robert Hall & Associates’ small business tax consultants can help guide you in the right direction. Contact us today at 818-452-2641 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation.