How to Register & Incorporate Your Business in Los Angeles, CA

Starting a business is one of the most exciting yet challenging steps in life. Knowing which forms to fill and the laws to follow  takes time and research.

Before opening, you will be required to register a new business with the County of Los Angeles. To register, you will need your company’s information, a taxpayer ID number, and the appropriate licenses and permits.

Ready to get your business registered in Los Angeles, CA? Let’s go through the steps you’ll need to take to get your business legally up and running.

Pick the Appropriate Business Structure

Before you register, you will need to familiarize yourself with the different types of business structures. One of our legal representatives can help you pick the right incorporation type for your business:

  • Sole proprietorship
  • General partnership
  • Limited Liability partnerships
  • Limited partnerships
  • Limited liability companies
  • Corporations
  • S Corporations
  • Nonprofit Corporations

Selecting the right business incorporation type will affect how you pay taxes and defines your relationship with business partners and investors. For this reason, it’s crucial that you register under the correct business formation.

Apply for a Federal Tax ID Number

Your federal tax ID number, also known as an EIN or Employer Identification number is what the government will use to identify your business. If you are registering your business in Los Angeles, you can apply for an EIN online for free and get the identification number immediately.

Additionally, you can fax your application to 267-941-1099 or send it via the postal service. They may require an ITIN or social security number, depending on the formation you registered under.

Regardless of your formation type, you will need an EIN number to:

  • Form your new business
  • Establish payroll
  • File taxes
  • Set up employee 401K, IRA, or Keogh Plans
  • Establish a trust or non-profit
  • Establish a partnership, co-op, or a corporation

If you are unsure if you need an EIN number, contact our law offices for more advice.

Submit Your Licenses and Permits

After obtaining a tax identification number, check with the Los Angeles County government to find out which licenses or permits you’ll need to open your business. If you are planning to open a business that requires an accredited license, such as an attorney’s office or a cosmetology shop, the government will want to see your accreditations.

If you are applying for a permit or license, expect to:

  • Provide your fingerprints
  • Pay the application fee
  • Prove your educational experience or licensure

Any business selling products or services is required to have a permit for tax purposes. You can find out more at the Los Angeles County website.

Customized Los Angeles Business Incorporation & Registration Help

We’d love to sit down and talk about your tax situation and how you can protect as much of your income as possible – legally, ethically, and responsibly.

If you’d like personalized help for navigating the often-confusing tax situation post-coronavirus, please don’t hesitate to contact Robert Hall & Associates at your earliest convenience via the webform here, by phone at 818-452-2641 or reach me directly via email at [email protected]


LA County Home

Have tax questions? Ask Us.

The first step to hassle-free accounting, tax returns, and tax planning starts by reaching out to one of our representatives.

Contact Us

Robert Hall and Associates Tax Consultants